Stephanie Reynolds
Divorce and the unhappily married same sex
couple. They’ve tried everything to try
and make it work. Counseling, advice
from friends and family but now they just want out.
In an article from the Christian Science Monitor,
same sex couples not only have to fight for the right to marry but in some
states that don’t recognize same sex marriages they have to fight for the right
to divorce. Apparently if you and your
same sex spouse are married in a state that doesn’t recognize your marriage,
and you chose to move to a state that does not, you may not be granted a
divorce. This problem can become very
bothersome, time consuming and very expensive.
As noted in this article the couple in question has
moved to Mississippi a state which doesn’t recognize same sex marriage and has
a ban on same sex marriage. They were
married in California and now wish to divorce.
The couple has incurred a lot of expenses trying to get divorced, which
most heterosexual couples do not. Because
the state won’t grant the divorce the have to travel to the state where the marriage
took place. Only to be informed that
they have to be legal residents to have the divorce granted. I don’t know about you but I just can’t pick
up and move leave my job and everything I own just to get a divorce. Czekala-Chatham states “why should I be
treated differently, when there’s a courthouse right up the street. I should be able to go there and get a
divorce.” I believe if your marriage is
legal in one state, and you choose to divorce and have moved to another state,
the same rights you had there should be upheld where ever you choose to live.
Work cited
Crary,
David, Associated press, Mohr, Holbrook, Associated press, “Same sex couples
fight for right to divorce”, www.csmonitor.com,
web.1 December 2013.
No comments:
Post a Comment